So, today, we got down to work. Things didn't start too badly, getting things cut out and sanded down, etc., but eventually we ran into problems. A support was too long, and had to be removed and cut. Then we started to assemble things and discovered that not enough room had been left foe the wine bottles, so we had to remove all three supports and cut new ones. OK, get that together, then discover that the plan we'd had for assembly would not allow us to install it. OK, a little re-planning fixed that...then the major issue came up: the thing was simply too shallow. We wanted it to fit into this opening, but it turns out that this does not leave enough room for the bottles, as they'd end up falling out of the back (the rack isn't deep enough for the center of gravity of the bottles). Boy, that really pissed Ray off, but we managed to salvage a lot of what we'd already done, and only had to go buy two new boards.
Tomorrow, we build anew.